If you aim to contribute lots of exciting features to your blogs and journals, do not forget that your own personal experience and natural perspective is priceless.
- What Facebook Groups do you belong to? What’s happening on those groups? What music do they think is going ‘up’ and coming ‘down’ in the music scene?
- Gossip to pals! What are the arguments? What are the hot topics? What’s the buzz?
- Check the ‘recommended feed’ on your Youtube (not the Trending page — but your own suggestions.) What stuff is rising to the top right now?
- What other newsgroups and discussion threads do you read or watch? What are their most active threads?
- What are your friends, family and acquaintances doing this weekend? What new stuff delights them? Chat to the older ones. Chat to the youngsters. Get fresh views.
- What’s going on in your area? Who is playing on your patch? In local clubs, pubs and bars? Broaden your perspectives …. What’s going on in the parish hall or the social club rooms? Or on the village green or in the town square?
- Read your local newspapers and check out the local notice boards. What stands out? What new music is being advertised?
- Check out local Radio Stations … don’t forget the Internet stations. Why not contact them and introduce yourself? What is making the biggest splash right now. Listen to the chats and discover what’s hot and what’s not.
Any other tips you’d like to share? We would love to hear your thoughts on twitter @rockpencon
Words & Images @neilmach 2016 ©
Neil Mach is editor of RAW RAMP MAGAZINE
Member of the European News Agency, Music Industry Forum, Music Industry Network and regular blogger and contributor to several sites